Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Life After Newtown


Yesterday I started writing a blog entry about our weekend at the Homestead.  Then with the details of the Newtown massacre weighing on all of our minds, I felt totally insensitive posting it, so I didn't.  For all of us, the Newtown massacre has really hit home -- literally.  I hate to even think it or say it, but any of those little first-graders could've been Sam, also in first-grade.  It could've been any kid, any teacher, any principal, anybody who happened to be in his horrific path.  It's beyond awful.




Sam's teacher even resembled the slain principal with a huge smile and long dark brown hair tied in a ponytail.  Even more similar, though, is her boundless enthusiasm and zest for being an educator, striving to be the very best she can be at every minute of every day.  That her last act was hurling herself in the line of fire to disarm the gunman is so fitting given her limitless dedication.  The same goes for all of the other teachers who died trying to protect the young students.  Let's make them our icons and role models, not the Hollywood crowd.







At least for me, seeing the pictures of all the victims has made it all so much more real, so much more tangible.  Yesterday little boys Noah Posner and Jack Pinto had their funerals.  The interviews with   parents were among the saddest I have ever seen - or  ever hope to see.  Jessica Rekos's mother was talking about how, after learning of her daughter's murder, she immediately went home and got into her daughter's death where her daughter had lain just a few hours earlier.  She had cowboy boots ready to give her for Christmas.  Her funeral is today.  




One of the ways to honor all of their memories is to try to appreciate life to its fullest.  It is precious and, as we have unfortunately seen, it is fleeting.

On a beautiful healing note, Sam's teacher sent this email on Monday morning before school started.  

Good morning, first grade parents.

As you’re going through your Monday morning routine, getting ready to return to school, I know we all share a heavy heart, reflecting on Friday’s tragedy in Connecticut.

I am still heartbroken thinking about those 20 innocent first graders, and the teachers who died trying to protect them. I cannot begin to imagine the pain and loss that their families and community are experiencing.

As the details continue to unfold, and we learn more about the lives of those who were lost, I continue to find beauty and strength in the love that binds us together, especially as educators and parents.

Please let me know if I can help in any way during these next four days as we approach the holidays, and please know that you and your families are in my thoughts as I open the doors to my classroom this morning.

As the students excitedly pile into the classroom this morning, I’m sure we will be sharing smiles, hugs and stories about the weekend. If the events of Sandy Hook should be mentioned, I will address it with my best grace and honesty. I will do my best to continue to foster a safe and loving environment…which is my most important task as your child’s educator.

With teachers like this still left in the world, there is hope.  God bless!


LibbY



No comments: