Thursday, December 18, 2008

Make Way for Santa!

The past few weeks have made me dizzy.  Why is it that every year during the month of December we expect ourselves to do all of this?  Let's see -- we buy presents for everyone, all of our immediate family, close friends, extended family, neighbors, and co-workers.  Meanwhile we also intricately decorate trees, our houses and our yards while also baking homemade goodies (no mixes welcome at this time of year) and eating gluttonously an overwhelming number of parties dealign once again with immediate family, close friends, extended family, neighbors and co-workers.  

Oh, and did I forget to mention the huge stack of Christmas cards we need to send to everyone and their brother, often literally, preferably with a thoughtful, handwritten note attached or perhaps a family history of 2008?  Well, that's part of the deal, too, so get on that please, in your spare time of course.  It makes me weary just thinking about it,  for good reason because it's just plain insane.  And then in January and February there is a whole lot of nothing going on.

Just needed to get that off my chest.  Don't get me wrong --  I love the Christmas season, especially this year with a three-and-a-half-year-old who finally really and truly "gets it."  The other day Daddy Mac and I were both upstairs for a minute when we heard a humungous crash from downstairs.  Daddy Mac, aka the First Responder, sprinted downstairs.  Lo and behold, there stood Sam standing on the hearth where he is not allowed to be, gazing down at the iron fireplace gate that he had thrown down onto the floor below.  Exasperated and baffled, Daddy Mac was about to proclaim, "Timeout!"  Instead he asked him, "Why did you do that?"  Sam replied simply, "I was making room for Santa."  Oh, never mind about that time-out.

Just yesterday Sam and I were leaving Ukrops and stopped to donate a dollar to the Salvation Army outside.  Sam was intrigued by the whole scene, and they let him even ring the bell!  On the way home he was still trying the understand the concept and asked, "Why do we give people money?"  

My reply was, "Well, God loves us, and he wants us to help each other and love each other. Sometimes you and I need help with things.  Right now these people need help because they don't have any money to buy their kids any Christmas presents."  

Sam pondered for a minute and replied with enthusiasm, "But Santa will bring them presents!"  
"That's right.  That helps, doesn't it?"  For Sam the problem was solved.  For me I was wondering why I didn't donate more.

No comments: