Monday, February 4, 2013

Keep Movin'


Today was one of those days that handed me a lot of lemons. Yes, I should try to make lemonade out of said lemons.  Right now, though, I just want to squeeze them as hard as I can and then pelt them at a wall, also as hard as I can.  There -- just the visual of that makes me feel better.  Argh!




It is at times like these that I harken back to the sage advice of my father in the early 80s.  This was back in the day when I was a high school freshman and about to go to my very first concert at the Boston Garden with a bunch of friends.  It was REO Speedwagon if my memory serves me correctly.  (Coin toss on that one!)  The Go-Gos was the next year with the field hockey team.




Anyway, as I was staying goodbye to my parents, my father said, "When you get in the Garden, don't worry about what's going on in there.  Just keep movin'!"  Of course, I laughed, and it has since become a family joke.




The older I get, though, the more I rely on that nugget of advice and appreciate its wisdom.  Regardless of what's going on around you and how you feel about it, just keep movin'.  Sometimes that's all you can do, even though that in itself can be a huge effort.   Don't get mired down in temporary circumstances.  Soon your scenery will change to something else.  And you will still need to keep movin' then, too.

Determination is what keeps us going, keeps us moving forward.  That's life, a journey.  Don't get bogged down with its annoyances, just keep movin'.  Be grateful for what you have and hope for a better day ahead.

Thanks, Dad.  I'm movin' and feeling better already.


LibbY




No comments: