Thursday, November 7, 2013

"Oh No" at Trader Joe





Oh my.  It started off so well, really it did.  When he's not asleep, Cowboy loves being in the car and doesn't mind a bit while I'm in a store.  It's just another great opportunity for a snooze.  Sooooo I took him to the gym at Short Pump and then to Trader Joe's, cracking his window open a bit more than usual as a special treat to get some fresh air.  (This is foreshadowing -- rookie mistake.)  When I left him, he started barking like a banshee, very unlike him.   I almost turned around and went back to the car, but then I thought I shouldn't let him know that barking like that get results.  So I vowed to whip thru Trader Joe's.  Yeah, right.  That's gonna happen.  After  all, I had "CROSSED THE RIVER" to get there, so I had to stock up!

For those not familiar with Richmond, people here act like crossing the James River is like crossing the Suez Canal in a punctured raft.  They'll drive twice as long within their own county without batting an eye, though.  Anyway, before I knew it, "Cowboys"were just a football team in Dallas and I was busy scouring labels for excessive sodium content.  Finally I got in the line to check out.





Then it happened.  I overheard a lady asking the store manager to page whoever had a black car with a traumatized Springer Spaniel in it.  He was barking incessantly and trying to jump out the window.  I hightailed it out of there to some good Samaritan at my car who had been trying to calm him down.  At this point he was practically half-in and half out of the car.  Oh my.  Of course I apologized profusely, and the extremely kind woman insisted she wait with Cowboy while I finished checking out since I had CROSSED THE RIVER and all.  Even after all that drama, she was a big Cowboy fan, the dog, not the football team.




Ah, so today I got the Trader Joe's Special of the Day -- a big slice of humble pie with a couple of doggie treats on the side.  Well, it could have been worse.  At least he wasn't in this position, not today anyway.




LibbY

No comments: