Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Got Seeds?





It's almost March.  Do you know where your seeds are?  No worries, they can still be in little packets on a shelf at the store awaiting your arrival.  That reminds me of one of my favorite picture books, Corduroy, about a bear named (you guessed it!) Corduroy who awaits his sweet new owner Lisa to come take him home from the department store after she saved up enough money.




Finally Corduroy arrives at home!




Anyway, it's early enough to be way ahead of the game right now, a nice feeling to enjoy.  A world of gardening opportunity awaits!  Right now I'm trying to figure out what to grow (or try to grow) this year.  Last year was my first gardening go-around, so I was game to try anything and everything, planting every single seed in the packet.  Never expecting any of it to work, I ended up with about tons of basil and tomato plants as well as lots of other random vegetables, only to realize that none of us are that crazy about actually eating broccoli, summer squash, or ginormous zucchini.




Truthfully it was much more fun to see them grow and flower than actually cooking them.  Well, I had never seen a broccoli plant before, so I can check that off on the bucket list.  Who knew they are so pretty?  That was worthwhile in itself, but this year my plan is to be a little more selective.




Right now I am in the process of borrowing (stealing?) a great idea that from the Beekman Boys' blog to plant lettuce seeds using old lettuce containers as little mini-greenhouses. Brilliant!  Giving credit where credit is due, here is their action plan below.  Thanks, Beekman Boys!  (By the way their memoir, The Bucolic Plague, is a great read!)
http://beekman1802.com/reuse-that-salad-container-for-salad/




Hope to report back soon with less-than-embarrassing results.  The average date of the last frost in Virginia is April 15, so it will be indoor recess until then.  Praying that my beginner's luck from last year translates into advanced beginner's luck this year!


LibbY



No comments: